Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Correcting my paragraph: Newgrange
The most fascinating aspect of Irish culture that I learned about by
watching the Story of Ireland was
Newgrange. Newgrange is a prehistoric tomb built in the Neolithic period which
makes it even older than Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids. It is
circle-shaped and built of stone, earth and grass that grows on its top. Newgrange
was built because of religious purposes, although the specific reasons are not
fully clear. One very interesting part of Newgrange is one of its rooms that is
constructed in a special way so that on the shortest day of the year, the
Winter Solstice, the room is completely illuminated with sunlight. This
phenomenon still works today which is truly amazing, considering the fact that
Newgrange is 5000 years old. For the large number of tourists that visit
Newgrange every day, lights were installed to simulate the phenomenon mentioned
above at any day. I find it absolutely fascinating that this ancient building
still exists and works. If I ever go to Ireland, I will definitely visit
Newgrange.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment