Thursday, August 21, 2014

Colorsplash!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I found a new hobby. Or more like a new passion: Watercolor painting!

As I have had quite a lot of free time in the last couple of weeks, I was in need of something productive and fun to do. And suddenly it hit me: why not start painting again?

I used to paint with great passion when I was a little kid. Every material to draw and paint with was welcome: pencil, watercolor, felt-tips, crayons,... . Plus, I was quite good at it. Right now, as I am typing this blogpost, I just have to turn my head left to see a wall full of paintings from my sister and myself when we were kids - and they really aren't that bad! Somehow, I gave up painting and turned my attention to different hobbies, such as pretending to be a detective (yes, my detective equipment still exists), writing short stories and reading fantasy novels. When I was thirteen, I got incredibly interested in Manga and drawing them. I used to draw Manga and for over three years and got quite good at it. Through Manga, I re-discovered my passion for drawing and painting again. What' more, it helped me to survive boring Physics and History lessons in middle school. My exercise books from seventh and eighth grade are full of Manga drawings. Drawing Manga also helped me to improve my Gimp and Photoshop skills, as I became more and more eager to perfect my drawings. Well, and somehow (I guess I was around fourteen) I gave up drawing again and focused on other hobbies such as playing the guitar and writing (again!). Over the last five years, I rarely painted at all. Drawing Manga had lost its attraction. And despite my grandfather telling me not to stop painting (he is really passionate about art and always loved my paintings), I hardly touched any pencil or drawing paper. Well, sometimes I tried canvas painting and started to experiment with colors and shapes (what you rarely do when drawing Manga, as there the focus lies on neat outlines  rather than on colorways). For some time, I did a little bit of abstract painting. Unfortunately, I never really got passionate about it.

My love for watercolor painting started in the Easter breaks, when I suddenly felt the need to paint something. No matter what. So I just grabbed my old paintbox and started to color letters and to do color gradients. And for the first time in years, I felt that joy while painting again!

Over the last few weeks, my interest in and enthusiasm for watercolor painting has more and more increased. I hope it will last this time ;)



1 comment: