Wednesday, August 27, 2014

DIY Candlelight

Bonfires belong to the most beautiful things on earth, I believe. I love sitting beside a bonfire, the clear deep-blue summer night sky above me, chatting with my friends or family while the fire's crackling spreads an atmosphere of relaxation. Unfortunately, when the weather is bad or it's too cold outside, lighting a bonfire is not possible. However, don't despair! I have the perfect solution for every bonfire-addict like me: the bonfire-in-a-jar.

For that, you are going to need a sheet of paper, a pencil (and most probably an eraser), some permanent markers (the colors depend on your preference), a clean jar, a pair of scissors, a ruler and a tealight.


First of all, you measure the height of the jar. Now cut a strip that is nearly as high as the jar.


Now comes the creative part, where you can show your incredible drawing skills. Draw whatever you would like to paint on your jar on the paper strip. You are lacking inspiration? How about an ornament, letters, your favourite quote, or simply a doodle. On my strip, I wrote bonfire in a jar (how inspiring, isn't it? ^^) and drew a little fire flower (I have absolutely no idea how a fire flower looks like - and if it even exists. But anyway, this is my version of a fire flower).


Now put the paper strip into your jar, so that you can see your drawing through the glass. Take a permanent marker and go over the drawing on the glass. VoilĂ  - just like magic!


Wait, something is missing! Uh, right, the candle! Otherwise your bonfire-in-a-jar wouldn't be a proper bonfire-in-a-jar. I filled the jar with some water, added some colorful glass stones to the water and put a floating tealight into the jar. I think it looks quite nice that way. Another idea is to fill the jar half with colorful sand and then put a tealight into it. Be creative!


Now simply light the candle, make yourself a cup of tea or hot chocolate, take a good book and enjoy the warmth and flickering light your indoor bonfire will spread...

No comments:

Post a Comment